Saturday, November 21, 2009

New stuff



The house was empty. Well, it was full of boxes. But it was empty. All what a modern family needed to survive. It wasn`t there. No food. No electrical equipment. No chair to sit on. Not a bed to sleep in. The house was an empty shell, and we would not survive for long.
It was late afternoon. It was dark. And foggy. Cars came towards us with sharpen lights. I struggled to see where I was driving. The car and the trailer was empty, ready to be filled up again. We came to a large highway. Everything became bigger. And faster. The road directed us to the big city. We turned off halfway. Searched and found the biggest building I`ve ever seen. There were queues. So many cars everywhere. And people. And the feeling of not understanding what we did. We snirkeled forward in the queue. Almost nobody found a free parkingspace. And with our trailer it was even more difficult.
-Why don`t you just find a free space, she asked.
-Shut up, I replied.
-But why don`t you just stop here, she said.
So I stopped right there.
We came into this huge building. My God! So many people. Pregnant women and pregnant men. All kinds of cultures. And everyone with shoppingcharts and stressed eyes. Walking in queues. I could see it clearly. This building was the ultimate test for everyone who wanted to live together. I pushed the chart ahead of me.
-We need this, she said. -And this.
It was a kind of system. But I didn`t get it. There were some numbers. We needed to order some numbers. But where the hell were these numbers? I found a desk of information. It had a queue in front of it. It went so god damned slow. The faces all around were grumpy.
-I`m tired, she said.
-Yeah, yeah, I replied.
-And I´m hungry, she said.
I didn`t answer.
-I need something to eat. Now.
So we went out of the queue and into another. We walked around with the foodplate, struggled to find a table. People, people and people all around, eating. We found a small table. The food didn`t taste that good. Then it was back to that first queue. Then it was my turn. The young girl behind the desk stirred into her computer. Then she waved her quick look towards us. My hands were pale and wrapped around the handhold of the chart.
-I need some numbers, I said.
-You`ve done it all wrong, she said. -When you do it all wrong, then it`s your problem.
-but we have travelled far, and it`s late, and we are tired, and we need a bed, I said.
-Try that queue over there, she said and pointed.
Behind me was a young and unpatient couple with pregnant bellies. The girl behind the desk directed the couple forward with her eyes. I turned the heavy chart to the other queue.
-Why don`t you hurry, she said.
We came into a big hall. The merchandises were stabled on top of each other, into several kilometers high towers. I had written many numbers on a note. I searched around for the numbers. I leafed through curly papers. i lifted up heavy boxes. The chart slipped away. - Hold the chart, I said. -My legs are aching, she said. -But hold the chart, I said. But the chart was too small. -But where are all the bleedin numbers, I asked. -They are in that other hall, she answered. -But why do they need to have this stupid system, I said. -Take it easy, she said. -I`m taking it easy when I want to take it easy, I said. Then we came to thousands of new queues. As far as I could see. I searched for the shortest one. -But why don`t you just take this queue, she said. -Shut it, I said. We came to the payment. I lifted the boxes to the desk. Big things. Small things. So much. What would the prize be? Did we really need all this? -You will never understand what we need, she said. The girl behind the payment desk worked greedily. It said beep and it said beep. Again and again. I thought, "my God, this is gonna be expensive." I picked up my visa. But the reliefing sound didn`t come. The girl behind the desk looked into her computer. -You don`t have enough money, she said. -What, I replied. -But we`re supposed to have enough money. A lot of people stood behind us in the queue, staring at us. The girl had to make a phonecall. She said into the phone that she had some people without enough money. Then she said that we needed to take away some of the merchandises. And then we needed to move to another queue. I pushed the chart out to the parkinglot. I found the car and the trailer. -You can`t just leave the merchandises out here at the parkinglot, she said. -People around here are stealing easily from gullible people like you. I tossed the boxes into the trailer. -Be careful, she said.
We sat in the car. I waited to start the engine. Wanted to hear some silence. To hear if the car to protect us from the noise outside. Suddenly I punched the open hand at the steering wheel.
-Sick devil in hell! I will never, never do this again.
She looked at me.
-Relax, she said. -Now we got a bed.
Then she took up her hand and stroked it over my chin.

No comments:

Post a Comment